What I Learned About Dogs Today…Chocolate

Dark chocolate is my favorite. When I jammed a half pound sack under some magazines, a coat and my brief case on the floor of my car to run into a store for ten minutes I discovered my dog loves dark chocolate too.

I knew chocolate would poison a dog but I didn’t know how much time I had before it started destroying her liver. I rushed to a drug store and asked the pharmacist for Syrup of Ipecac, the vomit inducer used for children. “They stopped making that because so many bulimics were hooked on it. And no alternate drug is available,” she said.

The woman recommended a 24 hour emergency pet hospital four blocks away. The vet had her vomit and then gave her some kind of charcoal that would absorb any remaining poison. $250 is the lesson I learned until my vet asked me why I hadn’t given her a drink of hydrogen peroxide at a cost of one flimsy dollar.

Next Post

You Might Also Like

1 Comment

  • Reply December 26, 2012 at 3:55 pm

    A dollar is not flimsy unless you have it.

  • Leave a Reply

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.